We all get excited to go out and ride, but in addition to grabbing our safety gear, there are a few things we need to remember to take with us. Here is a list of my top 6 things to take with you on your next adventure ride.
1. Water: Hydration is key! Always bring a hydration pack with you, and if you are going to a long ride, bring an extra bottle of water or two. Some friends of mine are lucky to ride in Springwater Township, and always fill their packs from the natural springs in the area. If you ride in an area where this is possible, it’s a great way to stay hydrated.
2. Snack: Just like your bike, ATV or side-by-side, your body also needs fuel to keep going. Trail mix, protein bars, protein shakes and fresh fruits and vegetables are all portable and relatively easy to put into your backpack or panniers.
3. Tool Kit: Sometimes our machines need repairs while out on the trails. It is no fun to be stuck out on a trail and need to call in for help. Having the right tools with you can help your trip last longer, instead of being cut unnecessarily short. Some suggestions for things to have on hand include socket and Allen wrench sets, screwdrivers, tire patch kits, and spare spark plugs and fuses. Depending on the length of your ride, bringing spare gas is probably also a good consideration.
4. Map/GPS: It’s always best to plan your route out ahead of time. A trail or adventure ride is not a time for just “getting lost.” Having a map or a GPS with you can help you keep on track and enjoy your ride.
5. First Aid Kit: Unfortunately, accidents can and do happen. Always make sure you have a kit in case of injury.
6. Insurance/Ownership/Trail passes and other relevant documents: In some areas, trail passes, valid license plates and insurance are requirements to ride. Always make sure you have your documentation just in case you are stopped by law enforcement. By showing the community at large that we are a responsible group that obeys local laws, we can help ensure that we keep the riding areas we have.
Now that you have your kit together, get ready to go out an enjoy the ride!
Karl Tettmann, Co-Founder. Avid health and fitness coach who just loves to ride.